1/26/12 MRose said...
Buffalo Wild Wings sports bar will open at old Party Depot site on 3892 Center NE in Salem Ore. by June, company says
1/05/12 Anonymous asked & KandN answered...
- "Is rockin rogers moving into the Eola Inn space on hwy 22 in west salem?" Yes, as mentioned below on 12/20/11, they have opened another location in the old Eola Inn building. ~KandN
Anonymous also asked:
- "Anybody try the taco truck downtown on the corner of Ferry and Commercial street?"
1/04/12 KandN shared...
Just learned that San Diego Taco Co. in Salem is still open. Two other stores (Canby & Hillsboro) are now closed.
12/28/11 Roxie shared ...
Cherry City Café is going out of business. I answered an ad on CL for Cafe out of business - $1 (ne salem). ... So sad.
12/22/11 Anonymous shared...
Groupon.com just sent out a message that San Diego Taco Company is out of business. That is too bad as I have had some nice meals there. The Frontier Country restaurant is for sale in Gates. The sale price includes a new three bedroom house. http://salem.craigslist.org/bfs/2764810839.html
12/20/11 KandN shared...
- Monarca, a Mexican cafe, is now open at 2420 13th Street SE where Jack Rabbit Cafe & Coffee Shots used to be.
- Rockin' Rogers new location in the old Eola Inn building (4250 Salem Dallas Highway NW) is now open.
- Pure Decadent Pastries, will open soon inside the new Mail Depot on 4742 Liberty Road S
12/19/11 Chuck Bradley said...
Super Pho Downtown is closed, locked up and empty.
12/12/11 Guitar4me said ...
Chuck wait! Don't spread falsities :) This Pizza Hut razing was of particular interest to me as I live directly across the street. Smelly old Pizza Hut has been our main view from our big 20-foot windows ever since we moved in. When I came home last Thursday and saw the restaurant flattened, I cheered. Too soon. They're building a new Pizza Hut right back up. We are in for some noisy construction months ahead, and Salem is not losing a Pizza Hut location. -guitar4me
12/11/11 Chuck Bradley said...
The Pizza Hut on S. Commercial is gone. I mean building and all. Nothing left but a concrete slab and burning memories of appalling service and mediocre food. Let this be a testimony to how well absentee ownership (an educated guess here) works in the food service industry. I'll not shed a tear for this one's demise.
12/07/11 Anonymous added..
Chuck Bradley wrote "2. I heard, from a questionable source, that White's has sold to the owners of the Ritz Diner. Does anyone know if either of both of these is/are true?" If this happened it would be a little ironic. Don who owns White's & Don's Restaurant on 12th Street, owned The Ritz at one point, and sold it after he got White's going again. White's has been for sale for the past two years, with the asking price dropping by $200,000 during that time. This website still has the business for sale: http://www.restaurants-for-sale.com/newsite/rro/listingview.asp?id=17014 $975,000 asking price + $6,000 a month for rent.
12/07/11 Roxie said...
Yep and their FB info says; General Manager Demitri Georgedes Culinary Team Eric, Amy, Ivo and Demitri
12/07/11 Demitri said...
This was posted on their facebook page early this am- so it sounds like new owners. Church St. Pizza It's on at the break of dawn at church st today, we are already hard at work on today's Chefs Special. How does Asian Pears, Blue Cheese and Spinach over our Garlic Infused Olive Oil base sound? Sounds pretty amazing to me. So drop in, say hello to Breeann and Eric and have a slice of the new hotness.
12/06/11 Roxie said..
Church St was for sale on Craiglist a while back. When I questioned Ian (the owner) he conformed that it was indeed for sale.
12/06/11 Chuck Bradley said...
These are both unsubstantiated rumors. Perhaps someone could shed some light as to their veracity.
1. References in reviews, on other sites, suggest that Church Street Pizza is under new ownership/management. (Chuck, N & I visited Church St. a few weeks ago. Ian was there, as was an employee who referred to him several times as boss.~KandN)
2. I heard, from a questionable source, that White's has sold to the owners of the Ritz Diner. Does anyone know if either of both of these is/are true?
12/02/11 Super Pho's downtown location is closing due to family reasons.
12/02/11 Chuck Bradley said...
Stayton’s The Lovin' Oven, purveyors of premium baked goods (Purportedly the real source of most of Konditorei’s offerings) will no longer have lunches available and will be curtailing their hours as of December 9th, 2011, in their 3rd ST location. The proprietors will be opening a discount grocery store in Stayton Plaza named "Economy Grocery" in which they will offer a selection of their Desserts six days a week.
11/28/11 Chuck Bradley said...
Gilgamesh Brewing now has a tap room in the Reed Opera House. Their hours are not posted (it was closed about 3 PM today) and it looks as if their food may be provided by Venti's. At least they have Venti's signs on the wall and there does not appear to be a Kitchen facility. (Chuck, I noticed they do post their hours on their Facebook page. ~KandN)
11/26/11 via @kidcapitale..
Happy Curry Foods opening at 295 Church St. (corner of Church and Trade). pic.twitter.com/lsPQyiUB
11/26/11 Anonymous said ...
- I don't think that Spoons serves dinner anymore. When I drive by at night, the lights look out to me. (You're right. They quit awhile back. ~KandN)
- I chatted with someone from Rock N' Rogers and they expect to open at the old Eola Inn location in early December. The pool table is gone & they will have video poker.
- The old Jack Rabbit Espresso does having some work going on. I see a sign up for Monarca
- Spoke with the owner of Al-Aqsa today. He says the State ST location should be open in about two weeks.
- There's no apparent activity at the old Jack Rabbit Espresso location on 13rh ST SE, where a Mexican place is rumored to be coming soon.
- Lots of contractor vehicles and activity at the old Eola Inn where Rockin’ Rogers is anticipated.
11/10/11 Chuck Bradley said ...
The new NE Daynight Donuts location at 2234 Fairgrounds RD opened yesterday. I stopped by today and venue is new from the studs out. It's a beautiful and spacious store with the best Donuts in Salem as well as a big Yogurt and topping selection, gourmet Coffee and Biscuits and Gravy
11/09/11 G said... Marco Polo is opening a tea & gift shop downstairs from their restaurant at Pringle Plaza
11/08/11 H said ... DaVinci's isn't open for lunch anymore
11/08/11 Chuck Bradley said...
- Bizznaga 303 Grill! A new eatery at the hapless 114 S. Main ST in Independence. American fare menu. Light and bright. Same owners as Lenora's Ghost just up the block. Maybe the third time will prove to be the charm in this location!
- Rockin' Roger's coming soon!" reads the marquee at the old Eola Inn on HWY 22 in West Salem.
Understand that the owners of the North Salem, Love Love are taking over Young's Teriyaki in downtown Salem. Should be open before December.
11/08/11 Chuck Bradley said...
I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that Young's Teriyaki Closed. Does anybody have the scoop?
11/04/11 Broken Bread sets opening date-- Saturday, November 19, 5PM
11/02/11 Chuck Bradley said...
- Brick Brothers, on Browning SE, now offers an in-house-baked option for its Pizza (was bake-at-home only) and it also delivers, if you so desire.
- Also, The Break Billiards and Brew (formerly Sharky's) on Commercial SE, is under new management/ownership and will open tomorrow with a new menu including Brick Brothers Pizza.
11/02/11 El Maguey has closed
11/02/11 Paneza Nellie's Pizza Shoppe in Sublimity is open and under new ownership
11/02/11 Anonymous said...
- All American Frozen Yogurt in the Salem Center Food Court is out of business, as of Friday night. If you have an Entertainment Book with the coupon for the free small bowl of yogurt, it is too late to use in Salem.
(Below you'll find some of Salem's dining scene changes from the past couple of years.
As an experiment, I'm going to begin posting your updates from comments on the page above.)
Notable Changes: Prudence Uncorked has closed, Gamberetti's and Spoons NW Bistro have both added happy hour, Caruso's stopped serving lunch, Jonathan's extended small bites menu from 3PM to close, DaVinci's open for lunch Mon-Fri., The Old Spaghetti Warehouse will close at the end of Feb and open April 1 in Alessandro's location, Nipa Hut is now a Mexican restaurant
Changed ownership: Jack Rabbit Cafe is now Coffee Shots, Chad's Cafe is now Don's Cafe, Caffe 680, Governor's Cup, Thai Fusion is now Thai E-San, Jack's Bar & Grill is now Your Place (River Rd N), Hainan Orchid is now Full House,
Closings: Old Europe Inn, El Turbo, Eola Inn, Two Doors Down, Soba (S Salem), Cafe D'Amour, Dolliaz Cafe, Rigoberto's (W Salem), Soup Cellar (N Salem), Chula Vista ( Liberty SE), Alessandro's, Big Foot, Coffee House Cafe (closes end of March 2011), Tuff Ranch BBQ, Coffee Shots closed
Openings: Momiji Japanese Crepes & Sushi (4590 Silverton Road NE), La Perlita (Chemekata), Limeberry (S Salem), Broadway Coffeehouse, Nagani (Keizer), Java Crew (12th & Fairview), Tup Tim Thai Cuisine (S Salem), The Crooked House Bistro (W Salem) Green Apple Frozen Yogurt (Keizer), Hut Dogs (W Salem), Mekong Asian Take-Out (Keizer), Cherry City Cafe (Broadway), Sushi Ya Sushi coming soon to Salem Center, Orupa, Robert's Crossing (Illahe), Super Pho (downtown in old Soba mid Dec.), Kay's Bar & Grille (Old Europe Inn), Halftime Bar & Grill, Sushi To Go (S Salem), Royal Thai (Independence), Brooks Bros Pizza (S on Browning), Lil's Cupcake Cafe on High St. (503 566-6655), Taj Mahal Indian Restaurant (STate St. where 2 Doors Down used to be), La Roco's and The Ghost (Independence), McNary Restaurant & Lounge
Soon to be opening: Hawaiian Time (W Salem), 5 Guys Burgers (S Salem).
What did I miss?