Update 03/24/09If you haven't voted yet for the best restaurants on the Statesman Journal web page vote now. If you've already voted, vote again. Yes, I wrote that correctly, the SJ poll allows readers top vote once a day until April 10th. After you vote, they're allowing you to see the current standings in each category. I was at Kwan's last night and noticed a pile of flyers advertising the poll and telling their customers to vote. As much as I'd like to think the "Eat Salem Restaurant of the Year" is a big deal, winning this one would be a huge score for a local restaurant. If I were a restaurant owner and I wanted to win this, here's what I would do:
- Get some flyers made of various sizes advertising the poll like Kwan's does. Have some at your front desk and a stack of smaller ones to put inside check folders. Any little reminder will help.
- Email your customers with links to the poll. Anyone who is signed up on your mailing list is likely to vote for you. Make sure, in that email, that the link to the poll is one of the first things the recipient reads.
- Update your webpage or blog with links to the poll. Make sure the link is toward the top of the page so people don't have to scroll down to find it.
- Mention the poll in converstation with friends, facebook it, twitter, every vote will help.
- It says one person can vote a day but what that means is one computer. Vote on all your computers, your work computer and your home computer. Find out who has computers and make sure they're voting everyday.
- Pay attention to the results and see if your promotion is having effect.
You may have thought you were done voting for the best restaurant in town when the "Eat Salem Restaurant of the Year 2008" poll was up but another media outlet in town is doing their own "Best Of." If you haven't voted yet in the Statesman Journal's contest, click here and nominate your favorite restaurnts for Salem Oregon. Then come back here and tell us who you voted for.